Thursday, October 16, 2008

Moses Still Speaks: 3. The Golden Calf

Dr. Jon Burnham preached this sermon from Exodus 32:1-14
on October 12, 2008 (OT28a)


When I graduated from college I worked for several months as the Interim Director of Christian Education at Fondren Presbyterian Church. That employement whetted my appetite for further work in the church. In order to move forward in Christian Education, I felt I needed to continue my education. The pastor recommended the Presbyterian School of Christian Education in Richmond, Virginia, but I couldn't afford to go there. I had too many college loans. But there was an elder in the church who responded to God's nudge and opened his wallet and gave me a scholarship. Thank God that elder interceded for me. Without him, I don't know where I would be today.


What about you? Who helped you get where you are today? Your parents? A teacher? A mentor? If we had the time, we could around the sanctuary and each of you could share your story of who helped you get where you are today. But we don't have time to do that today, in fact, this is an abbreviated service and sermon so we can get over to the vision brunch and share our dreams for St. John's. But before we leave here, let me tell you a story. 


Moses was taking forever up on Mount Sinai where God was giving him the Ten Commandments. The people finally got tired of waiting for him. They called on Moses' assistant, Aaron, to provide them with a real god on the spot. Aaron demanded everyone give him their gold rings and bracelets and ear rings. He took all that gold and melted it down and made it into a golden calf. Then he proclaimed a feast day. The people worshiped the golden calf and things got pretty wild. Just then Moses showed up carrying the Ten Commandments. When he saw what was going on with the people he was so mad he threw down the stone tablets, thus becoming the first person in the history of the world to break all ten commandments. God was not amused. God was so mad at the people that God wanted to destroy the people. 


Moses began to negotiate with God on behalf of the people. Moses told God, "This is terrible. This people has sinned—it's an enormous sin! They made a god of gold for themselves. And now, if you will only forgive their sin ... but if not, erase me out of the book you've written."


God said to Moses, "I'll only erase from my book those who sin against me. For right now, you go and lead the people to where I told you. Look, my Angel is going ahead of you. On the day, though, when I settle accounts, their sins will certainly be part of the settlement."


The people gave up on Moses but Moses did not give up on the people. God gave up on the people but Moses did not give up on the people. Moses brokered a deal between the people and God.


After church on Sunday morning, a young boy suddenly announced to his mother, "Mom, I've decided I'm going to be a minister when I grow up."
"That's okay with us," the mother said, "But what made you decide to be a minister?"
"Well," the boy replied, "I'll have to go to church on Sunday anyway, and I figure it will be more fun to stand up and yell than to sit still and listen."

Perhaps you can sit still long enough to hear this story. I promise not to shout. 

Next to the entrance of the public library on Stella Link there is a statue of a green calf. plastered with black dollar and cent signs. It reminds me of the golden calf the Israelites made while Moses was up on the mountain receiving the Ten Commandments. If we constructed a calf to worship today it would be green instead of gold. It would be green because that is the color of money. And yes, it would probably be covered with black painted dollar signs and cents signs like the green calf at the public library. We live in a scientific world where everything is measured including each of us. From an early age, we are taught to measure people by how much money they have, by what kind of car they drive, and by the cost of their clothes and their house.

I wonder about the meaning of that green cow statue at the public library. Was the artitist who made it trying to point out how we humans give a monetary value to everything in our world, even the animals? This cow is worth this much money. This part of the cow is worth this much money. That part of this cow is worth this many dollars and that much cents. That system has served us most of our lives. What do we do when that system seems to be faltering as it seems to be doing now? Is there another way to measure the value of a cow? Is there another way to measure the value of a person? Jesus had the radical idea that our value as people comes not from WHO we but WHOSE we are. We have been adopted into God's family. Our Father owns the cattle on a thousand hills. 

To a large extent, the Christian religion is built on the concept of interceding. We pray in the Lord's prayer, "Forgive us our debts, as we forgive our debtors." Thank God someone forgave my debts and provided a scholarship for me to go study Christian education. If that Presbyterian elder hadn't paid that debt for me, I don't know what I would be doing today. In those moments when we make decisions about what we will say or not say; what we will do or not do; what we will give or not give, we are making history. We are determining the future of ourselves and of those whom we enable or deny. Moses stood up for his people even when they turned against him. God had mercy on the people of Israel because Moses had mercy on the people of Israel. In the end, it all comes down to mercy. Who gives it? Who gets it? Money is the currency of the physical world. Mercy is the currency of the spiritual world.